Fire Safety Over Christmas
Fire safety is important all year round, however it’s easy to forget about the risks over Christmas. Here’s what you can do to make sure you are as safe as possible:
- Old Christmas tree lights can be a fire hazard, always check the cable and bulbs for damage before use - If the lights are more than five years old it might be worth buying new, safer lights.
- Unplug Christmas lights when you’re not using them.
- Candles can start fires if left unattended. Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings.
- Never attach decorations to lights or anything that gets hot.
- Don’t overload plug sockets.
- Most fires start in the kitchen – never leave cooking food unattended.
- Keep all exits clear in your home; in communal hallways the stairs should be clear of any items such as buggies, bikes and other belongings.
- Make sure cigarettes are extinguished and disposed of properly.
- Test your smoke detector regularly.
- Make sure your door and window keys are easy to get to.
- Get to know your neighbours – know who might need help in an emergency.
- now how to isolate your gas, electric and water supply and report any repairs immediately on 0333 200 7304.
- Please make sure your home contents are insured.
Home Contents Insurance
Home Contents Insurance
Why do I need it?
Fortis Living do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.
Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.
My Home Contents Insurance
Fortis Living have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.
Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.
10 Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance
• Apply over the telephone or complete an application form
• No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
• Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
• Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
• Covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £2000)
• Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
• Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
• You don’t need to have special door or window locks
• All postcodes are included
• Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options
Who is this policy for?
Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Allianz Insurance plc. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the Policy Wording ([pdf] 1MB), which you should read carefully.
Based on the information which has been provided to you if you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks.
How do I get further information?
If you’d like to apply for home contents insurance, you can do so by completing an application form ([pdf]149KB) or by calling Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Prior to completing the application form, please review the Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement ([docx] 28KB) and Insurance Product Information Document ([pdf] 412KB). These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover. Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.
Thistle Insurance Services always aim to get things right first time and they are committed to achieving the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, Thistle Insurance Services would like to hear about it so that they have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve the service in the future.
If you have a complaint about the sale or service of your insurance policy, call Thistle Insurance Services on 0345 450 7288 or write to:
Thistle Tenant Risks, Ground Floor, Southgate House, Southgate Street, Gloucester, GL1 1UB
Alternatively, email us at Customerrelations@thistleinsurance.co.uk
If you have a complaint relating to your policy, please contact the Allianz Customer Satisfaction Manager at:
Allianz Insurance plc
PO Box 10623
Phone: 0330 102 1781
Fax: 01483 529 717
A copy of our complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information please view the Thistle Insurance Services Complaints Policy [docx] 16KB.
Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Lloyd’s Broker. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.