Your Annual Gas Safety Check is Important...
Your annual check is delivered by our own specialist team from Fortis Property Care. The check is designed to help make sure that all the gas appliances, fittings and flues in your home are safe to use.
We will write to you before your service is due with an appointment day and time. It is important that you let us in to do the work.
If you can't make this date please call 0330 123 0700 (8am - 6pm Monday – Friday) to arrange an alternative appointment.
You have three opportunities to get the service done. After that we will consider legal proceedings to allow us to do the work. The service really is THAT important.
WHY DO YOU NEED A GAS SERVICE?
- The law says that as your landlord, we have to do it. It is also a condition of the tenancy agreement that you have signed. If you don’t let us do the work your tenancy and your safety will be at risk.
- It can help stop carbon monoxide – a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste!
- Using less gas also helps you to save the planet!
- It can help make your boiler more efficient, which means you use less gas and save cash on your bills.
What happens in a gas safety check?
The service usually takes about 45 minutes – but could take up to two hours, it involves:
- Checking the gas installation and heating system;
- Checking the fire;
- Testing for gas leaks;
- Service of any gas appliances owned by Fortis Living;
- A visual check of your own appliances.
If we find anything is unsafe, we must by law advise you of this, within the scope of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 .
You will be responsible for repairing or replacing any appliances that you own. They must befitted and checked annually by a Gas Safe registered installer.
Call Gas Safe on 0800 408 5500 or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk to find a local Gas Safe registered installer. Remember to ask for ID and to see their Gas Safe registration number and unique operative ID number.
When the work is done the gas engineer will record the inspection and any work that has been carried out. We will them post a gas safety certificate to you within 28 days. Please keep it safe.
What to do if you smell gas...
- Turn off the gas at the meter;
- Open windows and doors;
- Turn off all ignition sources;
- Put out naked flames, including cigarettes;
- Do not use electrical switches (such as light switches);
- Call the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111999;
- Call us on 0330 123 0700 to report your concerns.
The aftermath of a gas explosion.
Please let us in to do the work.
Carbon monoxide is deadly
On average, CO-Gas Safety’s data on unintentional Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning from all fuels has shown about 40 deaths per year and about 300 injured.
Your gas service can help guard against this.